Friday, February 17, 2012

Antiques and Garden Show outing

My previous plan for this past chilly Saturday was to nurse my slight cold on the couch with hot tea and a good book. Instead, I drove downtown to the Antiques and Garden Show where I sipped hot tea and walked very slowly among beautiful displays. A seller actually commented on how slowly I was walking.

Hand-notched "tramp art" chest.
Doors from the Fairvue
Plantation.
It wasn't entirely what I expected (frou-frou European antiques and art). What I found instead was a delightful mix of nice old-world antiques, one-of-a-kind folk art pieces, repurposed and raw industrial items, and art. I confess I didn't go to all the garden booths, but other people sure did--every other person was walking around with pussy willow branches!



I touched a statue with a $22,000 price tag and saw a silver service for $59,000, but most items were much less than that (some were more, I'm sure). I asked if I could take some photos in booths that interested me and only one guy said no.

The trending styles were very un-stuffy: quirky combinations of early 20th century metal pieces with wood and stone and some with (retrospectively) ironic advertising. "Scuffed-up" is the new "pristine" as far as decorating goes. I appreciated this worn-in, handled quality. Another trend was for usable pieces like rewired light fixtures.

I didn't buy anything, though I was tempted in a booth with dozens of bakelite bangles and by another booth with Medieval illuminated manuscript pages. I saw people buying things--particularly jewelry, art, and furniture. Being more familiar with flea markets than fine antique shows, I challenged myself to a game where I guessed the period and price of certain pieces. I was pretty good at it actually, but then again, I was choosing which items to guess for! (I'd be very curious if they got those prices, though, even among this crowd.)

The event is hosted by Cheekwood and proceeds benefit Exchange Club Charities. Want to play my guessing game with me next year? Did you go this year? What did you buy or just drool over?

Do you think my laptop would fit?
Some booths mixed antiques & garden.
Mennonite coverlet. I was enthralled.
The prettiest Chia pet I've ever seen.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE playing "guess that price" in antique stores and flea markets. Also, that roller skates case is a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e. Rats to not seeing it in a less expensive environment! :)

    ReplyDelete