Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mickey Mouse Club

Toys are meant to be played with. When I see an old toy in mint condition, it makes me a little sad to know the child-owner probably didn't have much fun with it. The play-with factor does make condition the key in valuing antique and vintage toys, but distressed toys tell better stories.

Just-above-rock-bottom is how I would describe this Mickey Mouse's condition. He's in rough shape, but not actually fallen apart yet--loose seams, missing ears and clothes, faded, scuffed. In fact, I wasn't even convinced it was Mickey. No tag, an unfamilar face, no gloves, a yellow top and no pants. Maybe Mighty Mouse or an early friend of Mickey?




Proud member
When I was a child, I was in the Mickey Mouse Club. No, not the one with Christina Aguilara and Ryan Gosling, but thank you for thinking so. (You weren't thinking that? Oh well. That reminds me of a story about the '94 Olympics--for another time.) It was something my parents sent in for when I was a toddler, and I have the footstool in my living room to prove it. A stuffed Pluto became my favorite toy, and he slept in the crook of my arm for many years. He's not quite as worn out as Mickey, but nearly.




 I found him like this in a box
at the estate sale.
Back to Mickey. I used Google Image search to match him to another one online, a MIB one with Gund box identification "WDE920." I presume this stands for Walt Disney Enterprises and a model number. Gund has made official Disney-licensed plush toys since the 1940s. I've not been able to determine this doll's birthdate, but the face shape matches many other Mickeys and Disney character plastic faces from the mid 1950s.


I learned the Mickey Mouse salutation of the "M-I-C, see you real soon . . ." variety from my dad. Then I learned the Hot Dog song and dance a few months ago from my best friend Teresa's little boys. It plays at the end of each Disney Playhouse show as goodbye. It's catchy and makes them (at 1 and 2 and 1/2 years) and everyone, really, want to move! Try it.


They are also enthralled with some classic Looney Tunes from before my time, so I have no doubt Disney and other classic cartoons are here for a while more. I hope my friend's sweet boys will play with their toys til they are as worn out as the Mickey Mouse. ". . . K-E-Y, why? because we like you. M-O-U-S-E."

1 comment:

  1. The original Mickey Mouse Club ran from 1955-1957 and featured "regular " kids with common names like Bobby, Tommy, Karen and Darlene. It's said that Walk Disney wanted to cast the show with "ordinary" kids, not show business type singers and dancers. I used to love that show!

    ReplyDelete