Thursday, March 8, 2012

Two weirds don't make a right

Sometimes I like things that I really don't like, but I like them for other reasons.


A few weeks ago I was shopping the Berry Hill Goodwill and came across one of the ugliest blouses ever. I was repulsed by it actually, and like a train wreck, I couldn't look away. It did have the color-of-the week tag which is 99 cents on Wednesday and Sunday, half-price the rest of the week. The other thing going for it was the original price tag. Having never heard of Wayne Rogers (not the M*A*S*H guy), I was pretty sure the tag read in cents, not dollars. But still, vauge, don't you think?


I passed it up on Wednesday. Chalk it up to an art project gone awry, akin to the puff paint trend. I Googled Wayne Rogers later that day and came up with two tidbits on him--he has been designing stylish clothing since the 70s...and his wife claimed to be involved with Tiger Woods. No where did I find any mention of hideously painted cotton blouses. (I feel bad about posting this, because hereafter this will show up in a search for "hideously painted blouses."

It was still there on the 99 cents rack on the following Sunday. That no one wanted it all week confirmed my notion that it had no nifty vintage merit to speak of. I bought it that day anyway, mainly to jokingly convince other people the tag said $33.

The plot thickens when we started prepping the sale this week in Forest Hills. Oh how I relished going through the closets of clothes and shoes from the 70s and 80s! This owner was a Grace's customer through and through. I shrieked, though, when I found this. Same label and style, just with even worse painting. This one makes mine look good.


Please vote in the comments section for your choice for the likeliest scenario. You may choose up to six.
A:   They were sold with hand-painting.
B:   They were painted after sale.
C:   You don't think they are as terrible as I do.
D:   You think the tag does read in dollars not cents.
E:   This is a freak accident and we should never speak of it again.
F:   Another idea, hopefully better than any of mine.

For the record, I like almost every other example of Wayne Roger's design.

2 comments:

  1. G. Move your clothes line away from that tree. Birds always make a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gross! i hope someone painted them after purchase. maybe the owner of the estate gave that other one to someone as a "gift" and it ended up at the thrift. i can't imagine why...

    ReplyDelete